Forty years after the first Nimitz-class carrier, the first of a new class is being built in the docks of Newport News Shipbuilding: Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78). The ship features new technology that will save the Navy money.
The new design brings many performance improvements, including:
- 25 percent increase in sortie generation rate
- 2.5 times electrical generation capacity over the Nimitz-class
- Manpower reduction of 500 billets
- The new carrier class was redesigned from the keel to the mast of the island house.
Among the improvements:
- New reactor and propulsion plants
- Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS), an improvement over steam catapult system
- New island
- All electric ship
- Major space rearrangement
- Flight deck extensions
- Advanced arresting gear